Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Pillow Tutorial

 I decided that I really needed to start documenting my favorite sewing projects. This is probably going to sound really silly but here it is...my sewing confession. Every time I want to make a new removable pillow case cover I have to go back to Sparkle Power's tutorial . I figure I don't have to write it down because I have this page bookmarked. But then I thought, what if she deletes her blog? Then what would I do? So here I am, creating my own tutorial. These are a few pictures of my newest pillow case covers for my outdoor patio furniture.


Step 1: Find a pillow or pillow form. I used a 14X14 pillow form from Michael's. It was on sale for $4.99...but if you really want to go cheap you can find pillows at thrift stores for as low as $2. I know using someone else's pillow sounds yucky but not if you are gonna use it for outside patio pillow decor-like I did! 


Step 2: You will need 3 pieces of cut material. Cut your first piece of fabric, the front of the pillow, to the exact width and length of the pillow. Here I cut 14X14. Then for your next 2 pieces, the back, you are going to want to cut a length of 14 (same as the first length) but 4 inches shorter for the width. So for this project you would cut 10 for the width. These 2 pieces should be cut as 14X10. This goes for any pillow width, on the back two pieces, always 4 inches shorter!




Step 3: Make about a 1/4 inch fold (lengthwise) on back two pieces. Iron it and then fold it over again and iron it so it becomes a pleat. These pieces will be where you insert the pillow form. 


Step 4: Repeat step 3 for the second back piece of material. Then sew the pleats down.


Step 5: Pin and sew the back two pieces over the front. Make sure you place the fabric right side up onto each other so you are viewing the wrong sides on the front and back. 


Step 6: Sew around the entire pillow. I used a regular sewing machine to sew the pleats but an overlock sewing machine to for the entire pillow. The overlock machine gives the pillow case extra durability but if you don't have one a regular sewing machine will work just as well. 




Step 7: You are all finished. Just turn the cover inside out and stuff the pillow through the case! Happy Sewing:)




Here are some of my 4th of July patio furniture pillows!
                               

No comments: