Sunday, October 24, 2010

Dia De Los Muertos Fair

After the Halloween festivities, many Mexican families celebrate Dia De Los Muertos (Day of the Dead). We celebrate the lives of  those family members or friends that have passed away. We set up altars with photos of our loved ones, food and or drinks they enjoyed along with colorful decorations. Last year I set up my first altar dedicated to my Papa (grandfather) and Mr. G's mother. This year I am planning to add more decorations and memories to celebrate the life of my late nana (grandmother). Usually I would just decorate a few skeleton  heads and add some left over Halloween decorations to the altar but luckily this year I found some glittery finds at the annual Dia De Los Muertos Festival in Uptown Whittier.

This was our first time at this local festival and I am so glad we went. There were some amazing artists that had their paintings displayed. Along the walk, we also saw some interesting altars dedicated to a range of people; everyone from the artists' family members to the Beatles. I couldn't resist snapping so many shots. It was like a color explosion! Enjoy:)
One of the first altars: symbolizing a mother and her child
Cactus fruit, enjoyed by a loved one
Bride and Groom- one of my fav decorations
Colorful right? I am SO going to throw a DDLM party one day!!!
One of the artists signing my painting
This is one of decorations I bought to add to my altar...eeekk can't wait to display it!
REAL ART:) 
Gotta love Frida
This altar was amazing! This was a display from my mom's friend Sonia Gonzalez, an artist at the fair.
Another vibrant altar






No comments: